The Abysmal Bonfire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Abysmal Bonfire

Anything and everything.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ellysa
Admin
Ellysa

Female Number of posts : 199
Quote : Painted in Passion
Registration date : 2007-04-29

Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood Empty
PostSubject: Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood   Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 6:27 pm

Okay, so I was going out on a date a couple weeks ago... and I got to the Starbucks early, so I went into the Chapters. And you know... it's like... a worm hole or something ridiculous. A vacuum of some sort that pulls me like a magnet towards the Margaret Atwood section. The woman's literature is like candy. But nutritious. And mind-blowing. I'm so in love with her mind.

So I bought Lady Oracle. And I've been trying to read it here and there. I got to about page 110 or something. But school is over, and I had nothing to do yesterday!! I ended up watching tv all afternoon. Ew. I haven't watched tv for so long, it makes me sick. So I resorted to doing laundry, and showered. And then work called and said our BBQ even was canceled because of the weather!!! So needless to say I had nothing to do.

I started working on my Sapphire Blossom site again. It's so weird having so much time to waste on stuff like this again. Seriously. I have this domain name paid for until January, but for the past two or three months I haven't had a homepage on it at all. I've been running little pages of sorts off of it for personal things, but nothing big because I accidentally deleted my homepage some time ago. I just never had the time to get back to it. So I started last night. If you're interested you can see how far I've gotten as of now: http://www.sapphireblossom.com/ but I'm still working on it. And I haven't much of an idea of what to do with it yet, either.

So I woke up today at... well, about one pm. I'm on page 233. Haha.

This woman never ceases to amaze me, though!! She's just... a genius with words. Everything from political sciences, to existentialism, to Italy, to obesity, Jackson Pollock, waffle irons, wars, and spiritualists!!

I have a terrible memory, which causes a lot of problems for me. I'll read something about a character, they'll go away, and come back about twenty pages later, and I will have forgotten everything previously said about them. Or I know words, but I can't remember exactly what they mean. So anyways, I have this thing where when I'm reading, I'll dog-ear a page if it has a specific word on it that I can't remember or want to look up, or if there's a significant quote on it, or something important happens. Well... I tag the bottom corners... and I don't think I've gone more than five pages without tagging a page so far. I'm so in love.

There are 366 pages, so I'm not finished, yet. But I have a feeling I'll be done over the weekend (I have first aid training all day for the next two days).

The book is marvelous. It's about a girl who grows up with a really strict mother, who puts a lot of pressure on her. But the girl is majorly obese, and starts to do it out of spite towards her mother. She takes comfort in her dad's sister (her dad was away for WWII, and coming back he's pretty much catatonic and never home), her Aunt Lou who teaches her a lot of things. But then her Aunt Lou dies, and in her will, leaves her $2,000 if she can lose 100 pounds of weight. So she does, and her life just changes all around. She runs away from home and tries to ignore her past, so she creates all of these other lives to live. Anywho, it's all supposed to crumble back on her or something in the end, but I suppose I will let you know a little bit about that when I finish.

Otherwise, I've read two of Margaret Atwood's novels: The Handmaid's Tale (MY FAVORITE BOOK), and Oryx & Crake which is probably my third favorite book after Denis Lehane's Mystic River (which is 3475297435843646554 times better than the movie).

I also admire a lot of her poetry, especially This is a Photograph of Me, and Morning in a Burned House. And I have a book called The Tent, which is a couple of really little short stories of hers, which are delicious!

And I have another novel of hers I have yet to read. I started it, but totally forgot about it because of school. I think it's called The Robber's Bride.

She's just so talented.

I'm sorry for the essay. But wow. She deserves it!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sapphireblossom.com/

Lady Oracle, Margaret Atwood
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Abysmal Bonfire :: Interests :: Literature-
Jump to: